SREB seeks an experienced News Manager to proactively raise the visibility of the organization’s work in traditional, digital and partner media outlets.
The Southern Regional Education Board works with states and schools to improve education at every level, from early childhood through doctoral education and the workforce. A nonprofit, nonpartisan interstate compact, our work includes policy and data, technical assistance to build capacity in schools and colleges, and programs to help states learn from one another and share scarce resources.
What does the SREB News Manager do?
- Serves as a liaison between SREB and media outlets. Works closely with SREB President and other staff and develops and maintains relationships with reporters, writers, editors, producers and partner organizations
- Releases new SREB reports, promotes SREB programs and connects local media to SREB work in their areas
- Proactively offers SREB resources for breaking or trending education topics
- Positions SREB experts as media sources. Coaches experts for media interactions
- Identifies, writes and places op-eds and blog posts on SREB-priority and trending topics
- Participates as key team member in campaigns via media, digital, video, audio, social media and in-person events
What does it take to be SREB News Manager?Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications or a related field AND five years of professional experience in journalism or communications; OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Experience with education news at media outlets, non-profits, colleges or education agencies preferred
For this opportunity, we seek candidates with:
- Demonstrated news judgment and ability to forge professional media relationships
- Ability to write and edit fluently and accurately
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize multiple projects
- A strategic approach to communication, from planning through evaluation and improvement
- An enthusiasm for continuous learning and improvement
- A creative problem solver with a positive demeanor
- This hybrid position is located at SREB headquarters, in midtown Atlanta.
- Successful completion of a background investigation and drug test.
- Driver’s License.
- Occasional overnight travel may be required.
Our commitment to SREB team members includes these benefits:
Medical, dental and vision insurance options
Flexible spending and health saving account options
Employer-paid short-term disability
Generous time off and holidays
Outstanding retirement plan
To be considered for this position, qualified candidates should submit:
- Current resumé
- Three work examples that show your experience in news or media relations