Accounting and Building Support Specialist
SREB’s Division of Finance and Facilities has an opening for someone to be a dependable member of a small team who is passionate about supporting our mission. A thriving workforce is at the heart of SREB's mission to improve education and help states build robust economies. As an Accounting and Building Support Specialist, you will be an integral part of providing services and maintaining the environment of our organization by supporting the accounting department and building operations.
If you want to be a member of our team, we want you to apply!
The Southern Regional Education Board works with states to improve education at every level, from early childhood through doctoral education. A nonprofit, nonpartisan organization based in Atlanta, SREB was created in 1948 by Southern governors and legislatures to advance education and improve the social and economic life of the region. We partner with policymakers, state legislators, education agency officials, and district and campus level leaders as they implement policies to help students achieve more, prepare students for college and careers, and boost college completion. We are an organization of committed professionals with proven track records of helping students achieve academic success.
What does the Accounting and Building Support Specialist do?
- Perform accounting tasks including entering incoming checks into the system for proper internal controls, processing specific invoices with correct coding and routing for approvals, and auditing and approving Concur expense reports for payment.
- Perform month-end charge outs for photocopies, mail, etc., including journal entry
- Provide support to accounting processes by preparing garnishments, FSA payments, and HSA payments
- Prepare various journal entries and reconciliations
- Process incoming and outgoing mail including packages
- Maintain records of off-site storage facilities
- Assist in the oversight of facility maintenance needs by visually checking public areas to detect any necessary repairs or maintenance, coordinating repairs, interfacing with contractors, and performing monthly fire-extinguisher inspections
- Perform basic building maintenance: order and stock soda vending machine, change water filters, maintain supply inventory
- Utilize remote application to grant gate and building access for guests and deliveries; setup and maintain employee access cards and generate reports as requested
- May drive motor vehicles for assigned tasks including delivery of mail, bank deposits, and support of offsite storage facilities
What does it take to be an Accounting and Building Support Specialist?
High School Diploma/GED; AND one (1) year of bookkeeping or administrative support experience; OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
For this opportunity, we seek candidates with knowledge and skill in:
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to prioritize multiple projects to meet deadlines
- Computer applications related to the work including MS Word and Excel.
- Financial record keeping and bookkeeping practices and techniques.
- Safety practices related to the work.
- Postage and shipping regulations, practices and the operation of postage metering equipment.
- Inventory control methods and computer applications.
- Performing accounts payable functions.
- Successful background and drug screening
- Valid Driver’s license